About this Show

Americas Newsroom

News/Business. Bill Hemmer, Martha MacCallum. News coverage and discussion. New.

NETWORK

DURATION
02:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 1236

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Casey Anthony 22, U.s. 20, America 18, Us 16, Mexico 13, Mexican Navy 7, Kirsten 5, Indiana 5, Montana 5, France 5, Alisyn 4, Lauren Spierer 4, Lauren 4, Tempur-pedic 3, United States 3, New York 3, Florida 3, California 3, Indianapolis 3, Dr. Keith Ablow 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Americas Newsroom    News/Business. Bill Hemmer, Martha  
   MacCallum. News coverage and discussion. New.  

    July 5, 2011
    9:00 - 11:00am EDT  

9:00am
>> dana: thanks for having me. >> brian: thank you. we'll try. and i'll see you tomorrow on that show. >> steve: in the meantime, off we go to "america's newsroom." we'll see you back here tomorrow. >> hope you had a great holiday, everybody, on a tuesday morning, it is crunch time on capitol hill. the senate back to work today starting a critical phase in that debate over our debt and the massive red ink out of washington. happy july 5th. good morning, everybody, i'm bill hemmer. welcome to "america's newsroom." back with me now by popular demand -- [laughter] or something like that. >> something like that. happy to be back with you. hope you had a great fourth, i'm allison camarota. the u.s. treasury warning time is running out. if congress does not act, the u.s. will not be able to pay it bills by august second and may begin defaulting on some of its debt. bill: there are signs of a deal, and it may hinge on raising taxes. stuart varney, fox business network, what about the tax
9:01am
deal? what do can you make of? >> i've got three developments altogether. let's start with a tax deal. two republican senators, mccain and cornyn, have okayed revenue increases. now, that's virtual the same thing as a tax hike, but they've okayed that. that's on the republican side. item number two from the democrats' side, they have put on the table tens of billions of dollars worth of cuts in medicare and medicaid. and then item number three, former president bill clinton who's been popping up just about everywhere in the past week, he has okayed, he says he supports a cut in the corporate tax rate. so you've got three developments hinting that the two sides and the middle are moving a little bit closer, hinting that a deal is possible as we count down to the deadline. bill: let me get to point number three in a moment, but take point number two there. if you cut into it almosted -- entitlements, is that the most efficient way to get spending under control and then the debt
9:02am
would follow that? >> oh, yes. if you want to get a handle on our nation's debt crisis over the long term, you must get a rein on entitlement programs because that's where all the spending and the huge increase in spending is occurring. it is the entitlement programs, get a rein, get a handle on that, and you've got a handle on our debt. bill: okay. now on corporate taxes, this is something a lot of people don't think about. what is the corporate tax rate in america today, and how does that compare with our competitors overseas? >> it's 35% today which is the second highest in the world, and the theory is that corporations keep trillions of dollars overseas so that they don't have to bring them back to america and pay that very high corporate income tax rate. former president bill clinton says if you lower that tax rate and make it more competitive with the rest of the world -- bill: to what? 35% down to what? >> no figure put on it, but make it competitive.
9:03am
bring it down maybe 20, 25%. give 'em a big 10, 15-point cut, and some of that money will come back to america. that is the argument at least, bill, and it's part of this debt reduction debate. it's in there. bill: you lay it out there. thank you, stuart. catch you on fbn in a minute. >> all right. let's put the debt deadline in perspective for you. the u.s. treasury department expects the u.s. to face default on some of its commitments by august 2nd. administration aides say that an agreement must actually be reached, though, by july 22nd to give congress time to draft and pass any bill. the numbers show the amount of debt held by the public has grown 54% under president obama. bill: cuts to medicare seem to be a foregone conclusion in this budget battle, but will republicans accept any tax increases? in a moment we'll talk to republican senator rob port match of ohio, he was -- portman of ohio, he was here live to tell us what was on the table as of this morning.
9:04am
stay tuned for that. alisyn: our other top story this morning, after three years and more than a month of testimony, the fate of casey anthony is now in the hands of the jury. twelve men and women deliberating for the second day, and the judge just reminded jurors of their obligations. so far they have not asked any questions, but during closing arguments prosecutors made this passionate plea to the jury. listen to this. >> who whose life was better? that's the only question you need to answer in considering why caylee marie anthony was left on the side of the road dead. there's your answer. alisyn: fox's phil ceeting is
9:05am
live in orlando with the details. in the past day and a half have we heard anything from the jury? >> reporter: no, not a peep out of this jury. they deliberated six hours yesterday, we're now about 30 minutes into today's deliberations. if they do have a question, they will all be assembled back in the courtroom. casey anthony will return, her attorneys, the prosecutors and then the question will be read by the judge. and dealt with. if they want to hear one of those jailhouse phone calls that casey anthony made with her parents where she was very unpleasant to her parents as you may recall, or if they want to see one of those jail visitations between george and cindy anthony and casey, then we'll also go back into the courtroom and watch and/or hear those pieces of evidence. this morning, though, jose baez, lead attorney for casey anthony not with the defense team as the judge reconvened the jurors and reminded them that they are not to talk about this outside of
9:06am
the courthouse, asked them if everybody followed his admonitions of last night. casey anthony looking quite agitated over there at the defense table, not maybe that's not clear whether she was upset that jose baez wasn't there, but we did see him walk in shortly thereafter, so everybody is now on the scene here at the courthouse, and we are approaching hour number seven. still no verdict. alisyn: and, phil, i've heard lots of legal analysts say that the prosecutors did a very effective job in the closing arguments. it was quite stinging. they describe it as what was casey anthony doing during those closing arguments. >> reporter: most of yesterday casey annie was just looking -- casey anthony was just looking very steely and stone-faced and perhaps staring across the room, not even staring at linda drane burdick as she launched into what was a crushing closing argument that brought it all back home to the jurors back to the beginning of this
9:07am
six-week-long trial showing how casey anthony behaved those 31 days when either
9:08am
>> reporter: it appeared that she mouthed, "he is," or, basically, "he did do it." something to that effect. alisyn: let's remind our viewers that a verdict could come at any time this morning. phil keating, thanks for the update. bill: there are some things we know about the jurors. a breakdown of the 12 jurors that are deciding casey anthony's fate, seven women, five men. ages ranging from the early 30s to the late 60s. there are also five alternates. all 17, though, have been sequestered, their lives on hold since the trial began about 36 days ago. now, the judge warning them of their duties as jurors now. >> you are not permitted to discuss this case among
9:09am
yourselves while you are separated from this courthouse. do not discuss this case with anyone else and, please, remember all of the things i told you about e-mails, etc., etc. bill: so as the jury meets behind closed doors at the moment, do guilty people act normal ever? is that's what the prosecution argued. we'll talk to our psychiatrist, dr. keith ablow, coming up here. alisyn: meanwhile, hundreds of people remembering casey anthony at a memorial -- caylee anthony bringing flowers, candles and gifts. people say the dramatic case has touched their hearts. >> we've been watching the case from the beginning, and it's just -- i have a niece, and it just touched our hearts, and we wanted to be a part of this and just show her that we love her and hope that justice is served. >> my youngest just turned two, and just the thought of it, we
9:10am
just wanted to do it to show that somebody else does care. >> we all care. alisyn: still so emotional for people. 2-year-old caylee was reported missing on july 15th of 2008, a month after she disappeared. and, of course, we're following all the developments from the courthouse this morning. when a verdict is reached, we will be notified via e-mail, then all of the players will gather at the courthouse. as soon as that happens, we'll bring it all to you live,ing of course. bill: the most watched hallway in america, as you see. alisyn: and they even deliberated yesterday on the holiday. bill: yes, they did. those are just a couple of the stories we're watching on "america's newsroom." an idea being embraced by dozens of american companies all to cut health care costs. a medical clinic only steps from your desk. is that a good idea or not? we're going to debate that in a moment. alisyn: and and then a federal sting that allowed guns to flow across the border into mexico, operation fast and furious. of course, we've been covering
9:11am
it. now the mexican government says they're outraged, and they want u.s. officials brought across the border for trial. bill: we're also awaiting the results of an autopsy on a decomposed body near indianapolis, indiana. is there any connection to lauren spierer, the missing college student who disappeared about a month ago? her parents wait for any word of hope. >> i can tell you that it's our worst nightmare, it's, it's an experience that you don't want anyone to ever have to go through. do you know how you will react when someone changes lanes without warning? or when you're distracted? when you're falling aeep at the wheel? do you know how you'll react? lexus can now precisely test the most unpredictable variable in a car -- the driver. when you pursue perfection, you don't just engineer
9:12am
the world's most advanced driving simulator. you engineer amazing. ♪ but afraid you can't afford it? well, look how much insurance many people can get through selectquote for less than a dollar a day. selectquote found, rich, 37, a $500,000 policy for under $18 a month. even though dave, 43, takes meds to control his
9:13am
blood pressure, selectquote got him a $500,000 policy for under $28 a month. ellen, 47, got a $250,000 policy for under $20 a month. all it takes is a phone call. your personal selectquote agent will answer all your questions ... and impartially shop the highly rated term life companies selectquote represents for your best rates. give your family the security it needs at a price you can afford. call this number or go to selectquote dot com. selectquote. we shop. you save.
9:14am
alisyn: the candidates vying for the republican nomination hitting the campaign trail hard this july fourth weekend. rick santorum marching in iowa. of course, an important early caucus state. the former pennsylvania senator making repeat visits to that state ahead of the iowa straw poll in august. >> we're just going to be out meeting folks and, you know, trying to build a real solid grass roots effort with our focus being, you know, having a good position come february. alisyn: santorum is planning to hold about a dozen events in iowa as well as a family vacation there. mitt romney was in the first of the nation primary state of new hampshire. the former massachusetts governor shaking hands at an
9:15am
independence day parade in amherst talking about his plans for the future of the country. >> it's the greatest country in the history of the earth, and we think -- [cheers and applause] we face extraordinary challenges right now. our president has failed us, the recession is deeper because of our president. it's seen an anemic recovery because of our president. alisyn: the romney campaign is continuing a tour of new hampshire with stops in andover and la cone ya. bill: as you know, one of the central issues will be the future of health care in america. more american companies adopting a strategy building state of the art, on-site medical clinics for their employees. health care only steps away from your cubicle. is this one of the answers? dr. marc siegel is a member of our fox news medical a-team.
9:16am
terrific panel here. laid key -- ladies first, doctor, is this answer? >> i'm not so sure. i mean, they always had occupational health clinics, but now they're trying to branch out and do preventive medicine and have extensive services. you know, how extensive can you get? you're not going to go up to the tenth floor and get your appendectomy. bill: good point. >> there's got to be costs involved. bill: if you had to, it's probably not the place i would choose to go. interesting answer, marc. >> no, actually. the center for health care and change has a study out that shows up to 15% of companies greater than 500 employees that have these centers. i don't think this is occurring in a vacuum, i think it's because obamacare is starting to come in. employers are saying maybe we'll take the penalty. maybe we don't want to pay for our employees anymore. maybe the low deductible, low co-pay insurance with high
9:17am
premiums is going to be too expensive, so we'll put a doctor on premises. bill: but what does that do if you put a doctor on premise? on site? you think you keep your employees healthier? is. >> somehow they think maybe we're covered in case of an energy, or maybe -- emergency, or maybe we can monitor our employees and find out what the various tests show. but the problem is, as we were discussing, there's no network here. you go to your doctor on premises, and he says, i'm sorry, you have the flu, go home. but they're not connected to surgeons, they're not connected to hospitals, they're not connected to clinics. so services don't end up being integrated, and that ends up costing more in the end. bill: i got cha, so you don't think it's the right way to go. >> will it's going to cost more money. bill: i understand that, but more and more companies are doing it, so they must see something here. what is it? >> the hope is, you know, they won't have to take off a whole day to go to the doctor, sometimes sit in the office for a long time waiting to be seen. so that's the hope, that you can
9:18am
run downstairs to the clinic -- bill: that sounds practical. >> there is. if you're going to do it totally on site, you have all those health care costs, malpractice, there's all these compliance issues, hipaa. and if you're going to have another company do it which people are outsourcing these companies to come in and take care of it for you, they have to have profits too. so i'm not so sure how much money it is going to save in the long run. the hope is patients will be healthier, but you can tell a patient as much as you want to stop smoking, if they don't stop smoking, you know, there's a certain amount of personal responsibility. >> exactly. i don't think there's a problem having these things, but they're disconnected, they're fractured. it's okay to do a skin test to see if you see a skin cancer, but what do you do if you find the result? bill: right. >> this is going to happen more and more as coverage gets less and less. people are waiting in the doctors' offices across the country, in my office, to be seen -- bill: if that's the case, it would take the burden off some
9:19am
of those -- >> but it doesn't because it's disconnected. again, you get seen at an employee health site and they tell you, you know, we don't like this, go see a surgeon. and they say, what surgeon? and the guy says, i don't know, but go to your regular doctor. that's the famous line. go to your regular doctor, and he'll tell you where to go from there. that's where health care is going. bill: i'll give you the last word on this. >> there's a physician shortage, so they're going to have problems staffing it as much as new physicians opening up practice. so that's -- bill: well, the idea is creative and, again, it's not new. it's the fact that more and more companies are doing it more and more often. and we'll see whether or not -- >> it won't work for preventive care. i don't think it'll work for preventive care. bill: we shall see. dr. marc and dr. lee, nice to see you both. allison, what's next? alisyn: the state of new mexico cannot seem to catch a break from mother nature. first, the wildfires that threatened the famous nuclear facility there, now the new threat facing the state.
9:20am
bill: also 14 trillion in debt and counting, 14.4, almost 14.5. should democrats start slashing entitlements, or should republicans agree to tax hikes? we're going to talk to republican senator rob portman who's on deck in ohio in minutes. are you receiving a payout from a legal settlement or annuity over 10 or even 20 years? call imperial structured settlements. the experts at imperial can convert your long-term payout into a lump sum of cash today.
9:21am
really? 25 grams of protein. what do we have? all four of us, together? 24. he's low fat, too, and has 5 grams of sugars. i'll believe it when i--- [ both ] oooooh... what's shakin'? [ female announcer ] as you get older, protein is an important part of staying active and strong. new ensure high protein... fifty percent of your daily value of protein. low fat and five grams of sugars. see? he's a good egg. [ major nutrition ] new ensure hh protein. ensure! nutrition in charge!
9:22am
9:23am
bill: developing right now at 23 minutes past the hour, militants firing a rocket into bag tad's -- baghdad's heavily-fortified green zone. the dow futures are up as investors anticipate a good number on manufacturing. dow futures up 12 points ahead of the opening bell which is
9:24am
just minute away this morning. and what do you get when you cross a donkey and a seib bra? -- sue. sue: bra? this little guy born to the zoo in china. word is his mommy was a zebra and dad was a donkey. alisyn: why donkra? all right, meanwhile -- we'll take your suggestions on that. bill: that'll be the next born. really al we want to tell you what's been happening in the weather pattern, there's been major flooding in las vegas, of all places. lapping at the sides of cars, rescue crews saving two men caught up in that fast-moving water. so is more weather like this on the way for sin city? meteorologist maria molina is in the fox weather center. what's happening? a desert is turning into a deluge. >> yes. that's right. unfortunately, we're seeing more showers and thunderstorms early
9:25am
this morning, and we expect them to continue for most of this week as we go across the southwest. you would think this rain is good. we've been in a drought, and we've also had wildfires and still have them ongoing across parts of new mexico, but this is too much rain, too fast, and it's those drought conditions actually in place that haven't really left behind a lot of vegetation to help absorb all of this heavy rainfall that continues falling in this region. so, unfortunately, this is going to be an ongoing problem here. you can see those showers and thunderstorms already firing up across the region. as we get more daytime heating this afternoon, expect this activity to become much more widespread. now, across new mexico where we do have some wildfires, we're expecting showers and thunderstorms to continue which could help put out some of those wildfires. but, again, the other concern is now the flooding. i do think this is going to be a problem not just for this workweek, but also the next several months because we're in something called the north american monsoon season where across the southwest through
9:26am
september and starting this time of the year right now we tend to see these showers and storms produce localized flooding. alisyn: several months? wow. if you have any pictures of that las vegas flooding or new mexico, we should say, of wild fires that you'd like to share with us. please do. post them at foxnews.com/u report. we will check them and show the best ones on the air and, as always, please, stay safe while you're taking those. bill: a fox news alert right now. we're getting new details on a developing story out of mexico. a massive search now underway for seven american tourists disappearing after their fishing boat capsized in mexican waters. live with the latest on that search in minutes. alisyn: plus, could we find out what happened to missing college student lauren spierer? her parents awaiting word after a body was found in an indiana creek. here's lauren's mom getting emotional discussing an old voicemail from her daughter. >> even though i wasn't in the room with him, it was clear it
9:27am
was lauren. hi, dad, it's me. i just want to say: hi, lauren, it's mom. we love you. we're going nowhere. we're here for you. we just want you to come home. [ female announcer ] ever wish vegetables didn't taste so vegetably? well, v8 v-fusion juice gives you a full serving of vegetables, plus a full serving of fruit. but it just tastes like fruit. and try our deliciously refreshing v8 v-fusion + tea.
9:28am
9:29am
9:30am
alisyn: senators are going head to head this morning over america's crushing debt. democrats are reportedly willing to cut tense -- tens of billions of dollars from medicaid, but they want something in return. rob portman of ohio is a member of the senate budget committee. good morning, senator. >> good morning, allison. thanks for having me on. alisyn: reportedly, the white house has agreed to cut tens of billions of dollars from medicare and medicaid, but there's a catch: they want republicans to agree to some tax
9:31am
hikes. will republicans agree to that? >> well, what makes sense is to be sure we're not hurting this weak economic recovery more by raising taxes, so i don't think we should be raising taxes. we should be looking at deductions and credits and exclusions that don't make sense. we should be reforming taxes, and that could be part of this agreement. so i would hope we would move toward smart tax reform to make the economy work better which is, ultimately, how to get out of the problem we're in. one, to restrain spending, but, two, we've got to grow this economy. alisyn: look, you're obviously at an impasse. in fact, we had a little bit of nudes from our own stu varney this morning that maybe senator john cornyn among others had agreed to some sort of tax hike or tax loophole closing. do you know if that's on the table? >> well, again, some of the loophole closing that's being talked about ought to happen in the context of tax reform. it's time for us to take our inefficient tax code that does not end courage investment or
9:32am
innovation, that makes us less competitive globally and bringing it up-to-date. we'd generate more economic activity and, therefore, more revenues. but not by raising taxes on this weak economy. we've got 9.1% unemployment already, the economic data don't look good, so it's not time to raise taxes, and i think the administration understands that. alisyn: in addition to tax reform, the general consensus is that you have to tackle entitlement spendingment unless you tackle the social security, the medicare, the medicaid you're really just trimming around the edges. is there going to be some sort of agreement on cutting those entitlements or changing them or reforming them somehow? >> well, there has to be because those programs, as important as they are, are not sustain until their current form. and, again, the president's fiscal commission laid this out very clearly late last year. the president chose not to accept those relations, but -- recommendations, but i don't think anybody rejects the notion that you have to deal with these
9:33am
important programs if you going to get the deficit and debt under control. they're the biggest part of the budget now when you look at interest on the debt, it's more than half of the budget, and it's also the fastest-growing part of the budget. so it is critical that we reform and improve these programs to make sure they're there. otherwise they're not going to be there for future generations, and it has to be part of this agreement if it's meaningful. alisyn: senator cornyn on fox news sunday actually talked about a mini deal which might delay or postpone making major changes or budget cuts until after the 2012 elections. is there a mini deal on the table? >> i think it is on the table. i think it would be unfortunate because we'd be putting off the tough decisions. but we need to be sure that we do come together as republicans and democrats and solve this problem before we get into the post-debt limit period. it would be bad for the economy, in my view. it would also show the markets and others that congress and the president simply can't get their act together. we need to get our act together to help encourage investment,
9:34am
encourage jobs. so we need to do something, and if all we can do is put together what's called a mini deal which would be, i hope, at least a trillion dollars, that's better than nothing. but far better would be to actually deal with the underlying problem. it's a little like the government is maxed out on its credit card, and we're saying, well, gee, what do we do about it? deal with the spending, that's the problem. it's not the tax issue, it's the spending issue. alisyn: all americans can understand that analogy. thanks senator rob portman, thanks for coming in. >> thanks for having me on. bill: mini deals of trillions. where are we? we are awaiting the results of an autopsy being performed on a body found floating in an indianapolis creek. police have been investigating any possible connections to this woman here, missing college student lauren spierer. former d.c. homicide detective rod wheeler is a fox news contributor. good morning to you. >> good morning, billful.
9:35am
bill: you've within -- been terrific on this topic, but you know there are certain observations you can make initially, even if body is badly decomposed at this point. >> exactly. the police initially are going to look at the dental records. now, they already have the dental records from lauren's family so that they can make a comparison. that's one of the fastest ways even before, bill, the dna evidence comes back. you can look at the dental records and determine whether or not this body, this decomposed body is an older person or a younger person. you can also look at the elbows, the joints of the body, the knees, areas like that to determine whether or not this decomposed body is an older person or younger person. and, of course, the police are scouring that area around that park looking for articles of clothing which would clearly give them an indication as to who this person could possibly be. bill: depending on how long the body's been there, some of that may be there and a lot of it may not, right, rod?
9:36am
>> you're right. we do find even a year or two later, bill, we'll go back to a scene, and we'll find articles of clothing, you know, from a year ago from a person missing. so it is a possibility that they could still find articles of clothing. bill: all right. this young woman has got a lot of national attention. there's another woman missing in indiana who has not. and she's 74 years old. her name is dorothy may herd. she's a great grandmother. she has not been seen or heard from since the 13th of june. >> right. bill: how do investigators go about in a situation like this where you know whatever you say could be highly sensitive toward one family or the other? >> well, that's an excellent question. you have to be very care. , of course, when you're dealing with family members because they are very sensitive. you know, the thing is they first are going to try to determine whether or not this is an older person or younger person, as i indicated. the other thing, bill, real quickly here that's interesting with this case is where this decomposed body was found yesterday is only about 56 miles from bloomington, indiana, and
9:37am
if you look at a map, if you get a chance to look at a map, it's highway 37 which is a direct route. again, not to speculate, but you have to take that into consideration. if lauren was abducted and somebody took her away, instead of them taking her away from the city, they took her towards the city which to an investigator is very interesting because, typically, we don't see that. we typically see an abducted person taken away from the city. so those are some things -- right, these are things that the police are looking at right now. bill: we are waiting from word out of bloomington, as you are as well. what's next? alisyn: well, did it stimulate the economy or our debt? new information our government may not want you to hear. how many jobs did the stimulus create, and how much did each job cost? the details may make your jaw drop. bill: also, we may find out the fate of casey anthony any moment now. the jury behind closed doors in that hallway hashing out all the testimony in this case.
9:38am
did the defense cast doubt in the hides of those -- in the minds of those 12 men and women? dr. keith ablow will examine. >> if you hate her, if you think she's a lying, no-good slut, then you'll start to look at this evidence in a different light. you'll start to, oh, wait a minute. maybe i'm seeing something that's not there.
9:39am
9:40am
alisyn: rising waters now complicating efforts by
9:41am
exxonmobil to clean up an oil spill along the yellowstone river. melting mountain snow is swelling the waterway, and it's making it harder for the oil giant to get to areas damaged by the spill. on friday a 12-inch pipeline burst upstream from a refinery in billings, montana, spilling about 40,000 gallons of crude into the water. state and federal officials say the spill could be spread over dozens of miles. we'll have a live report on the situation in the next hour of "america's newsroom". >> no person would ever make the accidental death of a child look like murder. the defendant's actions during those 31 days and her response to this are completely inconsistent with what people do 100 % of the time.
9:42am
bill: and the prosecution's laid out the case that casey anthony's a pathological liar. we could get a verdict at any moment in this trial, but will the jury buy the story from the defense regarding casey anthony's father, george? here's the defense attorney during his closing argument making that case. >> we're not talking about fantasy forensics anymore. we're talking about cold, hard evidence. evidence that points to one person and one person only, and he can get up here and lie all he wants and dance around the truth, but the truth is the truth. bill: what about all the arguments now with dr. keith ablow? how you doing, doctor? good morning to you. >> i'm good, bill, how are you? bill: good. i'm going to play a sound bite from the lead prosecutor that sort of goes to your specialty about how you analyze why people react the way they react. before we get there, how do you
9:43am
think they did in appealing to these jurors? >> well, i think they, i think that the prosecution did particularly well in appealing to the jurors because they spoke in absolutes. they said that people do not grieve in this fashion, they do not turn accidents into murders. in fact, that's not true. the range of grief can include even flights into mania. casey anthony's behavior -- going out all hours of the night, being hypersexual, spending lots of money -- these can be signs of the high side of bipolar disorder. and so i think that they were allowed to go forward in that absolute way, and the defense didn't really counter. bill: okay. here is the lead prosecutor, linda drane burdick. and for our viewers, listen carefully for how she's trying to frame her best argument. roll it, and i'll ask you about it. >> what do guilty people do? they lie.
9:44am
they avoid. they run. they mislead. not just their family, but the police. they divert attention away from themselves, and they act like nothing is wrong. that's why you heard about what happened those 31 days. bill: responses to guilt are so predictable, she says. what do guilty people do? they lie, they avoid, they run, they mislead. effective? >> well, i think it may be effective, but what someone might add and what a juror might be thinking is, yes, but do they take the police to a film studio as their place of work? is thareally an effective means of avoidance? don't guilty people sometimes i
9:45am
want to talk to a lawyer, up like what casey anthony did? her explanations seem almost in the realm of disordered thinking, almost reflect a mental disorder. i'm not saying she didn't do this, but what i am saying is that much of her behavior can be explained potentially as the high side of bipolar disorder, that mania. and if she was sexually abused by her father and if that father took this child's life, that certainly would be the kind of terrible trauma that would lead somebody to lose their rational -- bill: just so i understand, that argument that the prosecutor just made there, you don't believe was the strongest argument to be made? >> no, i don't think that's the strongest argument to be made because i would think a rational person listening to it would say, yes, but what kind of a con tried plan is this? -- contrived plan is this? guilty people are usually much better at evading authorities. is this really a guilty person
9:46am
who's scheming? she's taking them to a place that's patently not her place of work, she's not getting a lawyer, she didn't run away. really? bill: doctor, thank you. we're waiting for any word from the jurors. so far there has been none, but that's not too surprising when you look at all the notes that the jurors were charged with. when they do, we're going to bring in our best attorneys to analyze it. keith ablow, thank you. >> bill, thank you. bill: all right. as we move through this trial now and the liberation phase that is well underway, head to our web site, foxnews.com/"america's newsroom." you can click on that old bya box and leave a question for dr. keith or any of our great attorneys who have helped take us through this case. also on e-mail, hemmer on foxnews.com because you asked, bya. when i was away this past week, it was the only thing people were talking about. the economy was a big deal, but also the casey anthony thing. alisyn: it has been riveting.
9:47am
bill: women especially, as you know. alisyn: for many, many reasons, and there are many mothers on the jury which may be influencing their decision. meanwhile, the family of agent brian terry speaking out saying the u.s. should go after gun runners, not federal agents, as they continue to grieve their loss. >> brian did, ultimately, come home that christmas. we buried him not far from the house that he was raised in the just prior to christmas day. alisyn: terry's death blew the lid off a federal sting that went horribly wrong. now the mexican government wants answers saying u.s. officials should face mexican justice.
9:48am
9:49am
9:50am
9:51am
bill: prince william and kate continue their official, first official visit overseas traveling through canada's northwestern territories at the moment. the duke and duchess of cambridge visiting prince edward island and participating in the some fascinating paddle boat racing in the rain. [laughter] alisyn: it got better. bill: bet that was exciting. they had two teams, his and hers. william's team won. alisyn: sorry to give it away. bill: back on deck katie jokingly threatened to shove the prince in thewater. that would have been cute. alisyn: they're cute! mexican lawmakers are now demanding u.s. officials be extradited to mexico to face trial. they're outraged over a federal program allowing drug cartels to buy guns in arizona. the weapons were supposed to be tracked by the atf, but instead the feds lost track over them as they went across the border. and at least one weapon was
9:52am
found near the scene of the murder of border patrol agent brian terry. fox's william la jeunesse is live in the los angeles. what more do we know about this, william? >> reporter: well, imagine if mexican government purposely and knowingly sent thousands of pounds of pure cocaine into the united states as part of an investigation, and hundreds of americans died as a result? well, that is how mexico feels right now over operation fast and furious. angry and betrayed by the u.s. 21 dead in so mother rah, mexico. the guns recovered came complements of the u.s. government. >> we weren't giving guns to people who were hunting bear, we were giving guns to people who were killing other humans. [speaking spanish] >> translator: this program was a great mistake at its inception, especially because human lives were put in danger. >> reporter: a former interior minister and undeclared presidential candidate say the
9:53am
u.s. violated sovereignty by approving illegal guns they knew were going south. >> it confirms what many mexicans believe, that there's this conspiracy from the united states to sell guns to mexico. >> reporter: the numbers are overwhelming in a country where up to 40,000 have died in the cartel violence. so how many people were killed or injured here in mexico as a result of fast and furious? hundreds, officials say, but the exact number is not known. why? because when mexico attempted to trace those weapons, the u.s. said the numbers did not exist when, in fact, they did which is why many here feel betrayed. [speaking spanish] >> translator: i, obviously, feel violated. i feel my country's sovereignty was violated. >> reporter: what angers mexican officials, as leaked memos show, not only did the u.s. keep secret weapons it helped send to mexico, it watched as deaths mounted. >> how many weapons are out
9:54am
there that are a result of fast and furious that we do not know where they are? >> anywhere from a thousand, 1500, 1800 guns still. [speaking spanish] >> translator: that program is reprehensible in a relationship that should exist between two countries that are partners in the battle. >> reporter: so casualties will mount in mexico as time goes on and, ultimately, multiple u.s. officials are likely to be implicated and fired for their role in this operation. mexico wants them extradited and prosecuted there for gun running. back to you. alisyn: william, what a troubling story on so many levels. thanks for bringing us is latest installment in it. bill: got a fox news alert right now, take you down to florida, that southern florida just north of ft. lauderdale where a gas tanker has hit the back of a commuter bus. this is not good. 25 people onboard that bus. now reporting injuries, various head and neck injuries, nine so far transport today 40 -- to the
9:55am
hospital. you see what appears to be maybe a triage area. a tanker truck rear ending a broward county transit bus. at least 25 people onboard, probably just headed for work in the morning, and this is what they're dealing with right now. so we'll see as that commuter bus doesn't appear to be the one that was damaged because it's moving along just fine. we'll see how this comes out. hopefully nothing more serious than what we reported already. there's your tanker truck. and it's breaking news here in "america's newsroom." we'll see how this turns out in minutes. alisyn: all right. and we're seeing a new report that the case against dominique strauss-kahn could soon be completely dropped. the reported holes in the accuser's story and the new allegations that are surfacing. bill: what's going on there, huh? and new information in the search for seven american tourists missing after their fishing boat capsized. the coast guard says there is
9:56am
still hope they will be found. >> whether or not they had life jackets on when they went into the water, if they had any other kind of survival gear, if they could float on something or if they could stay together as a group, that would all increase their chances of survival. [ male announcer ] this...is the network -- a network of possibilities. in here, the planned combination of at&t and t-mobile would deliver our next generation mobile broadband experience to 55 million more amecans, many in small towns and rural communities,
9:57am
giving them a new choice. we'll deliver better service, with thousands of new cell sites... f greater access to all the things you want, whenever you want them. it's the at&t network... and what's possible in here is almost impossible to say. but for some of us with overactive bladder, our pipes just don't work as well as they should. sometimes, i worry my pipes might leak. but i learned there's something more i can do. now, i take care with vesicare. once-daily vesicare can help control your bladder muscle and is proven to treat overactive bladder with symptoms of frequent urges and leaks day and night. if you have certain stomach or glaucoma problems, or trouble emptying your bladder, do not take vesicare. vesicare may cause allergic reactions that may be serious. if you experience swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue, stop taking vesicare and get emergency help. tell your doctor right away if you have severe abdominal pain,
9:58am
or become constipated for three or more days. vesicare may cause blurred vision, so use caution while driving or doing unsafe tasks. common side effects are dry mouth, constipation, and indigestion. so why wait ? ask your doctor today... ... about taking care with vesicare. or annuity over 10 or even 20 years? call imperial structured settlements. the experts at imperial can convert your long-term payout into a lump sum of cash today. the possibilities are endless. interesting... save up to 50% this tuesday and wednesday only. hotels.com. be smart. book smart. bill: "fox news alert," good morning, everybody, the casey anthony murder trial alive look inside the courthouses.
9:59am
down the hallway, right now, about an hour-and-a-half into deliberation for today, which followed a long day from yesterday and could come at any moment, good morning, everybody, welcome to "america's newsroom," i'm bill hemmer. >> good morning, i'm alisyn camerota in for martha maccallum and the jurors really have their work cut out for them, since the trial started, in may, jurors heard from dozens of witness and have seen hundreds of pieces of evidence. bill: 400 pieces of evidence now, and the juror room with them now and the defense is trying to paint the anthony family as dysfunctional, even abusive, to casey. and, saying two-year-old caylee can and the's death was an accident, and her grandfather helped cover it up and the prosecution is describing casey anthony as one of the best liar they was ever seen or heard. >> so during an argument where the most well-documented liar ever seen in a courtroom, accuses everybody of perjury,
10:00am
fraud, lying, the irony is rich indeed. as we have come find out, accusing others of lying is classic casey anthony. bill: a former florida prosecutor, mark, how are you doing, down there, live in miami? good morning. >> i'm wonderful, how are you, bill? bill: i'm doing fine, thank you. to questions yet from the jurors. does that surprise you? or that is typical? >> doesn't surprise me but it will not surprise me when they finally do have questions, we wants to see this or open up the can, containing the air that was in the car, because we want to smell it ourselves. they can come up with just about anything. bill: but i understand all of that evidence is in the juror room with them. the only material they do not have is any audio evidence, or video evidence. and if they requested that they'd have to come back into
10:01am
the courtroom and, then we'd all know, but the way it is set up now, if it is not audio and video, they can be asking questions about anything they want and we may never learn about that, right? >> that is correct. they could say, hey, we'd like to go to the crime scene, i went out there, this past week and it was very telling, to see just how close her home was to the first area that you could dump remains, this is exactly where the remains were found. to me, it was painfully obvious when i went out there, what she did. and, perhaps, the jurors might want to go out there and see. bill: you talked about the can with the smell. hasn't the judge said they cannot do that? he has ruled on that, hasn't he. >> he has, but i don't know if he conveyed it to the jurors, but the foreperson, who runs the deliberations, like a chair person at a meeting, can come up with whatever they want. i have been shocked at some of the things they come up with. i got a question once in a federal trial, where the jurors literally wrote the following
10:02am
words: what does umamote mean, and, they meant unanimous, and, spelt "does". dose". bill: how did that turn out. >> i came in first place, bill! bill: doesn't matter how they spelled it, then. and, we are waiting here, on stand-by and it k come at any moment. do you understand the procedure how it will be announced? >> well, judge perry runs his courtroom how he wants to, but, typically the jurors will knock and say it's not a question, it is a verdict and everybody will be in there and, the clerk stands up and reads each and every charge and what the verdict is. bill: they'll get a 30 minutes heads up, the prosecution and the defense and the defendant, casey anthony. mark, thank you. mark, down there in florida and as soon as we get any word of a verdict we'll bring it to you
10:03am
live, asap, it has been a long, extensive haul for all of those involved and jurors have been sequestered since the trial started 36 days ago and the trial has 8 alternate jurors and most cases have 2 and will cost the court system, $560,000, three minutes past the hour. alisyn? >> there are stunning developments in the sexual assault case against dominique strauss-khan. first, prosecutors reduced his bail, releasing him on his own recognizance after finding holes in the accuser's story and, now a top investigator is telling "the new york post" all charges against the former imf chief will likely be dropped, within days. here now, fox business network's ashley webster. how did the case fall apart so quickly? >> well at one point, of course, alisyn, we thought the indicates was strong, because of the speed with which the new york police moved forward but we understand, even if the charges are dropped in new york, strauss-khan now
10:04am
faces new charges in france, and we'll get to that in a minute. look, the reporter in the post you are referring to claims the 32-year-old maid was also turning tricks at the hotel, and, prosecution sources also accusing her of, quote, entertaining male visitors, while staying in a da safe house, can you believe? and officially the manhattan d.a.'s office has not decided whether or not to drop the 7 count indictment against strauss-khan, who pleaded not guilty and prosecutors say there is physical evidence that perhaps an attack did take place, but aren't certain whether the sexual contact was consensual or forced and prosecutors began questioning the woman's credibility, three weeks after the alleged attack on may 14th. a number of false statements came to light, including her whereabouts, following the alleged attack. the details of an asylum applications and information she put on tax forms and the prosecutors also say the woman admitted to lying about being a
10:05am
victim of a gang rape, and, by the way, alisyn, strauss-khan due back in court on july 18th, but, the question now is, does the case go away, even before that next court date? >> and tell es about those new charges. are these old accusations. >> they are accusations, apparently, that were not brought to light 8 or 9 years ago, and involves a 32-year-old french writer who claims she was attacked 8 years ago, following an interview she did with dominique strauss-khan and she says she didn't come forward because her mother, who is a french politician, in the same party as strauss-khan, persuaded her not to because she said she was -- could hurt her daughter's journalism career. now the complaint could be filed today, it is 6 hours ahead in france and is 4:00 p.m. in france, complaint has not yet been filed but we're keeping an eye on that and once french prosecutors get the complaint
10:06am
they'll decide whether there is enough evidence to go ahead and press charges. the statute of limitations on rape in france, ten years, and alisyn alisyn, the lawyer for strauss-khan in france filed a counterclaim against her for what he calls false declarations, and the legal wranglings for him may not be over yet. >> thanks for that. >> sure. bill: let's look at the brief timeline of events, leading up to this points in this case. may 14th, the date of the alleged sexual assault. may 19th, strauss-khan, he resigned as the head of the imf, to focus on proving his innocence, he said, and june 6th, strauss-khan pleaded not guilty. june 8th and 9th, when the maid's credibility starts to come into question. she admits to prosecutors, that she lied about being gang-raped in her native new guinea when pursuing asylum in the u.s. and june 28th the alleged victim told prosecutors she lied to a
10:07am
grand jury about what she did immediately after the encounter with strauss-khan, july 1st, strauss-khan is released from home confinement, without bail. and what a turn around in that case. really something. bill: some reports they'll drop it altogether, any moment. and a fast-moving thunderstorm, now, leaving its mark on tucson, arizona. high winds and driving rain, tearing down trees and power lines there. massive tree limbs crashing down on cars below, lightning striking electrical equipment and causing outages, across the area. thankfully, no injuries are reported, southern arizona, the town of tucson. >> a developing tragedy, mexican search crews are holding out hope at this hour, the 7 missing u.s. tourists are still alive. this is two days after their about it capsized in the gulf of california. they were among more than 2 dozen passengers, on board a fishing boat, when rough weather struck early sunday.
10:08am
here's what one survivor had to say. >> the people on the boat, the mexican military, the department of tourism and the u.s. consulate, everybody came in and helped and we are grateful for that. otherwise, we'd still be out there. >> our reporter from our los angeles affiliate kttv is live with more. what is the latest on the search? >> reporter: well, good morning, everyone. the mexican navy not giving up on this one and their searching for the seven american tourists and they say it is possible even though it has been two days now, they could still be alive and are basing that on the hot temperature and the warm waters in the gulf of mexico, now, all of the 28 american tourists were aboard the eric, a 115 foot vessel that took off saturday from san filipe on the fishing trip and early sunday morning nearly everyone was a sleep and a strong and sudden storm hit
10:09am
the area, and massive waves toppled the boat and many of the tourists were not able to grab lifejackets and managed to hang onto coolers and other stuff floating in the water. and some of the men made to it a excluded island in the gulf and others stayed in the water and were picked up by the navy, or rather, fishing boats and 19 tourists, 16 crewmembers were rescued and one person didn't survive. now, 16 hours, that is how long it took for the rescue to take place. the boat capsized about 60 miles south of the port, sometime around 2:30 a.m. sunday, at one point rescuers considered turning their search and rescue mission into a recovery effort, and this morning they are saying that is not the case. we are still searching for those american tourists and the hopes are they'll be found alive and well. back to you guys in the studio. >> yes. that is hope to, thanks so much for the update and bill, i heard one of the survivors, found basically a deserted island and they can be anywhere if they managed to swim ashore. bill: a two mile stretch to make it if they have the skill. we'll talk to the coast guard,
10:10am
coming up in 20 minutes, too. a plan to get our nation's soaring debt under control, who is in and who is out on what? and, how big of an issue will it be? could it be the defining issue? in the election for 2012? we'll talk about that. >> and, it was billions of your tax dollars spent trying to rescue the economy, well, now, critics saying it just spiked our debt. how many jobs did the stimulus actually create? and how many did each one of those cost? bill: also, it could be ground breaking, a new study shining light on autism. could it change everything we know about how we approach the heartbreaking condition?
10:11am
inside all of us is a compass and it always points true north. toward mountains of sand. townew sights and sensations. toward the true bounty of nure so let's set our compass for traverse city and find ourselves. in the magic, and the moments of pure michigan. your trip begins at michigan.org. she is the greatest thing ever. honey bunny. [ babbles ] [ laughs ] we would do anything for her. my name is kim bryant and my husband and i made a will on lzo it was really easy to do. [ spits ] [ both laugh ] [ shapiro ] we created legal zoom to help you take care of the ones you love.
10:12am
go to legalzoom.com today and complete your will in minutes. legalzoom.com we put the law on your side.
10:13am
bill: 30 years and 134 flights later, the counts down for nasa's final space shuttle launch, officially begins today. 1:00, eastern time, we'll start counting down, the crew of four will be bringing much needed supplies to the international space station. and they always bring much needed supplies, as they should, marking the end of an era of u.s. space explore race, tune in for shep smith's coverage of the entire launch, friday morning, at 11:00 a.m., eastern time. alisyn: i know you legislative those launches, bill. bill: i'm telling you, america will be watching!
10:14am
alisyn: of course! bill: here we go. alisyn: final one. it is a pledge to cut cap and balance the federal budget and so far 7 g.o.p. presidential contenders have signed on. michelle bachmann and jon huntsman say they are still thinking about it. will our debt be the defining issue in the race for the white house? matt guillen is a former advisor for the national republican senatorial committee an kirsten powers is a "new york post" columnist and fox news contributor. good morning to you both. matt, jon huntsman and michelle bachmann are considering the cap and balance plan, proposal as it is called. what is the downside? why don't they sign it. >> they need to get on board. act tests expect the republicans to take the issue to president obama, the achilles heel along with jobs and if they don't get on board they'll be behind the train, and they need to get on board. alisyn: kirsten, what do you think they are doing here?
10:15am
>> michelle bachmann said the reason she has not sign it, she wants to go further. and wants to include defunding of obamacare and i think she'll end up signing it. she is pushing for something bigger, and i don't understand huntsman's opposition to it. i do agree, this is absolutely the issue in the campaign, is the debt, and, the deficit and certainly, particularly, in the republican party, this is going to be the number one issue. are you going to be somebody who is going to cut spending and bring, you know, bring the spending under control? in case people don't know exactly what the proposal spells out, let me do so. it is the brain child of the republican study committee. and calls for immediate spending cuts, to reduce the deficit by half, by next year and, it would require house and senate passage of a balanced budget amendment, to the constitution. matt, this is the mission statement, is it not, for all -- the race and for all g.o.p.
10:16am
candidates? >> without question and that is a reason why governor rick perry is so attractive for 2012 in the primary and general and he has done these things at the state level and done them well and the texas economy looks better and the u.s. economy right now and where obama is having problems is, his policies have created the debt and are not creating jobs. jobs are down, the misery inflation is up, under the president and he really has to get it together or he'll lose the election. alisyn: even if they sign the pledge, does this hold any water? i mean, saying the house and senate will do something, when your presidential candidate doesn't make it so. >> exactly. i guess they are trying to stake out what their priorities would be. as president, i don't think it will get very far with democrats. frankly, because, it is a completely different philosophy, you know, i think democrats see this as tiger hands so, for example, when they felt we needed stimulus spending, the
10:17am
economy needed the money pumped into it from government spending and don't want their hands tied saying you cannot do that. so, whether it could even get through the senate for example is questionable. alisyn: they don't want their hands tied, because, let's face it, democrats like spending more than republican candidates they -- >> i don't think that is true. alisyn: come on, kirsten, tell me -- >> no, well -- because, i would say the reason actually i think the republican party is pushing hard for this is precisely because the republicans spent so much when they were in control and when george bush was president and when the republican congress, you know, together spent so much money and there's a lot of anger from activists at the republicans, they don't trust them, either, and i don't think it is -- i think history shows actually that republicans can spend as much and sometimes more. alisyn: matt, your response? >> unfortunately for kirsten and the democrats, the election will be about barack obama's four years in office. and he will not be able to run again against george w. bush, and, his hope and change has
10:18am
become debt an nd numb employmu. alisyn: kirsten, last word. >> yes. it is absolutely going to be about the economy. that goes without saying. i don't disagree. but i'm saying it is ridiculous to suggest that republicans haven't spent a lot of money when they have been in power. alisyn: you make a good point. both republican and democrat -- republicans and democrats have found their way to the checkbooks! >> exactly. alisyn: but we'll see if it becomes a litmus test for the campaign. matt guillen, kirsten powers, thanks for coming onto debate. bill: in a moment, an update on a story we first talked about last week in "america's newsroom." they fought proudly for their country and now, a group of veterans fighting to keep god in the prayers at cemeteries. alisyn: and did the state make their case in the anthony trial? the defense says it's an accident that snow balled out of control and the prosecution, says if it looks like a crime,
10:19am
it usually is, judge jeanine pirro joins us with her take on that. >> there is no conceivable reason why anybody would put duct tape on the face of a dead child. i said it before, people don't make accidents look like murder. that is absurd. hey, the new guy is loaded with protein! really? 25 grams of protein. what do we have? all four of us, together? 24. he's low fat, too, and has 5 grams of sugars. i'll believe it when i--- [ both ] oooooh... what's shakin'? [ female announcer ] as you get older, protein is an important part of staying active and strong. new ensure high protein... fifty percent of your daily value of protein. low fat and five grams of sugars. see? he's a good egg. [ major nutrition ] new ensure hh protein. ensure! nutrition in charge!
10:20am
10:21am
10:22am
bill: you remember the white house said the stimulus would create jobs. and, now we know how much we are paying for those jobs. the white house council of economic advisors, a group of three, hand-picked by the president, saying that the stimulus added or saved just under $2.4 million jobs at a cot of $666 billion. do the math, that is $270,000
10:23am
per job, and that's from the white house and what is more the report shows over the past 6 months the economy would have added more jobs if the stimulus package was not passed in the first place. fox business network's eric bolling, host of "follow the money." >> you can't make this stuff up, bill. $300,000, per job? again, that is according to the white house council of economic advisors, as you point out, those are hand-picked advisors from the white house, and the numbers they came up with, $666 billion, spent, 2.4 million jobs saved or created and, that is bad enough. that is just bad enough. but, if you go to the -- their web site for the recovery bill, the recovery law, recovery.gov, go to that, bill, the number is $1.4 million per job. bill: no! >> 560,000 jobs created, spent $787 billion, and you can track every dime of that money. bill: you say $278,000 per job,
10:24am
a blowout number. >> a drop in the bucket, compared to what they are telling us on their own web site. bill: you say it is five times the number? >> somewhere in between, put it that way, if they tell you from the white house it is $278,000 per job and track the money, and, it is $1.4 million per job, it probably lies somewhere -- the point is this: when you give government a blank check, to go create a job, save or create a job, they don't create a real job, they create a temporary job that likely will go away over time and that what is we are seeing, even from the report, that got released late friday night. bill: july 1st. >> look at the report over the last 6 months, we are actually losing jobs as we are spending more stimulus money. bill: over the past 6 months the economy would have added or saved more jobs without the stimulus. had the stimulus never -- >> they could have written everyone a $100,000 check, and, instead, but the point is this: look, the real jobs created, are
10:25am
the ones that are created by the private sector, note ones that government, you know, spends a lot of money trying to put someone on a construction line or build a bridge or fill a pothole, because those jobs go away once the pothole is filled, and the bridge is built and the people have to go back on the unemployment line, rather than continue. the real jobs created they're ones where they say, you know what? we need to hire more people, and help us highre more people. bill: you are saying the economy would be generating job growth at a faster rate without this. how would that be possible? there would be less money in the pipeline. the stimulus that was put aside for $700 billion, that wouldn't have saved the jobs in people in various states across the country. wouldn't they be unemployed. >> one of the laws of unintended consequences, gasoline prices went from the $1.83 a gallon to $3.66. -- $3.56. and, the reason for that is
10:26am
because we have spent so much money we didn't have and borrowed it an printed it. and that puts upward pressure on price and tells comes, i can't hire corporate ceos, are saying i will not hire until i know what my health care and fuel costs will look like. and, what the future will look like, on a more transparent basis. not, boy, this 787 or $800 billion, we have spent, is going to go away, what is next quarter going to like without the stimulus and so they don't hire and that is the point. bill: tuesday morning, came out late friday afternoon, and we fii figured a lot of folks didn't see it. >> interesting when they released the number, huh? friday night. bill: follow the money on the fox business network. as he does! monday, tuesday, wednesday, and friday, 10:00, eastern time. thank you, eric. back to your hole, now, my friend! here's alisyn. alisyn: it has been an ongoing debate about autism, is it caused by genetics or environment? what plays a bigger role in
10:27am
causing the disorder? a new study parents now need to hear and we are getting details on the search for the 7 americans whose fishing boat capsized two days ago and we'll speak with the coast guard, live. >> extremely large winds and water contributed to the dangerous conditions, most likely, caved the ship to take on water, and sink. passengers were in the water for over 16 hours. ananannouncer ] this...is the network. a living, breathing intelligence that's helpi drive the future of business. in here, inventory can be taught to learn. ♪ machines have a voice. ♪ medical history follows you. it's the at&t network -- a network of possibilities... committed to delivering the most advced mobile broadband experience to help move business... forward. ♪ a complete four course seafood feast for $15.
10:28am
start with soup then have salad and biscuits followed by 1 of 7 delicious entrees and finish with something sweet all for just $15. right now at red lobster.
10:29am
10:30am
alisyn: here is what is developing. new details on a deadly 4th of july attack in a green zone. militants fired a rocket at the residential complex near a u.s. embassy killing four iraqis. reverend robert h. schuller apparently voted off the board of one of of the megachurches. he built the crystal cathedral ministries from the ground up.
10:31am
contaminated seeds from egypt are to blame for the deadly e.coli outbreak. they are still on the market and shipped to more countries in europe than previously thought. the strain killed more than 51 people. bill: a search for missing terrance. it continues with the help of the u.s. coast guard and the mexican navy. rough water calm sized the vessel before dawn on sunday. 19 other tourists, 16 crew members have been pulled from the water alive. one american confirmed dead. the wife of a survivor saying that everyone was left scrambling to find a way out. >> i asked him how he was doing and he says he was okay but that the boat had sung. they had to jump off the boat, and get life jackets on, and some people had made it to shore and some had not. bill: that was a two mile swim.
10:32am
we have a coast guard spokeswoman with us now. good morning to you. >> good morning. bill: is there still hope that the seven can be found alive? >> the coast guard is preparing to launch a 3120 from sacked to look for survivors in the sea of cortez. bill: how warm are the waters, or how cold are they? >> water temperature is around 84 degrees. survivability in that type of water depends on a lot of variations. the coast guard is preparing to assist the mexican navy to continue the search for survivors. bill: 84 degrees gives you a little more hope than you would otherwise if it was in the 50s, or cooler than that and hypothermia could be an issue. what is the danger in 84-degree water? >> there is a lot of dangers in different types of water. survivability depends on a little different factors, hypothermia can set in in any
10:33am
type of water temperature. it's important that the coast guard gets out there and continues to assist the mexican navy in the search. bill: is there a ping or signal or anything coming from the ship? >> no we haven't received any pings. we have a search area that we are conducting different various legs of search on. yesterday we had a helicopter from air station san diego conduct a 40-mile search of the area with no results -- we haven't found any persons in the water, so we're going to continue our search today. bill: did you get a visual on anything, if it was not a human being, a raft, a life preserver, nothing like that. >> unfortunately, no. that's why it's important that our planes get in the air and continue to assist the mexican navy. bill: how are you working with the mexicans? >> we are providing aircraft to provide aerial support. the coast guard routinely
10:34am
provides search and rescue capabilities to the citizens of the united states. we're providing that expertise to the mexican navy and providing our search and rescue capabilities to the mexican navy. bill: so if i have it right the coast guard is in the air and the next can navy is on the water? >> that's correct. i also believe the mexican navy also has a helicopter in the air. we working closely with them to search. bill: listen, good luck, okay. >> all right, thank you. bill: i appreciate you coming on today. this was an annual 4th of july outing that's been ordering by a group of friends in northern, california. they've been doing it for years. normally they would stay on land and then go out for day of fishing and come back to a hotel at night. thinks the first time they elected to actually stay on the boast for an entire week and these giant waves came up early sunday morning, capsized that ship. many of them have been saved but the search wants now for seven
10:35am
americans missing in the gulf of california. alisyn: parents listen to the next story, a stunning new study that shows that environmental factors may play a bigger role in as youing autism than genetics due. this contradicts decades of research and could mark a major shift in how we treat and prevent it. dr. robert mallilow is founder and executive director of brain balance achievement centers. great to have you here. doctors have called this study a game-changer. it apparently looked at identical and fraternal wins. what did it reveal? >> for the last two decades we've been looking at the problem as purely genetic. the thought is that 95% of the money over the past 25 years in research has been looking at the bad gene but we've yet to find
10:36am
it. this is really significant. it means environment plays a bigger role. it plays twice the role of a factor in this disorder. alisyn: i guess the way they figured that out is they figured out the fraternal twins also have a higher incidence of autism, that means is must be something happening in utero or at birth. >> they saw that there was, know, an increased risk that it musting something in the prenatal environment or something that is affecting the expression of the mother's genes. alisyn: does this lend credence to the theory that many parents of children with autism hold, and that is that there is some pollutant or medication that happens and interrupts the regular development. >> the fact we've gone from one
10:37am
in 10,000 less than 20 years to 1 in 100, one in seven boys, would lead us to believe this epidemic is being driven by an environmental factor. that's what people have been saying for a longtime. we had other research saying it's purely genetic. this tells us, yes there are environmental factors. this changes it because we may be able to prevent it and cure it. alisyn: what does it mean for pregnant woman? is there anything they should be doing differently today? >> we don't know enough, unfortunately as to what the factors are because there hasn't been enough research in it. stress hormone levels may be significant and this may have something to do with the expression of genes fun alconnections between the two sides of the brain. research came out of israel two weeks ago, even in toupbg toddlers you can see there is desing rodesyncronization that s
10:38am
changes. alisyn: there is so much more that need to be done. good to have you with us. bill: our military men and women fight to defend our freedom every day. for a group of veterans their work is not done, they have a fight over censorship at a military cemetery. tha young mother facing the deah penalty over the murder of her 2-year-old daughter. we are very close to a decision. as we await a verdict we'll look at how both sides did at making their case when judge jeanine piro is our guest, next. >> the only connection, the only direct link to caylee, to her remains is this duct tape. yes, you have other items, but the only one that it ultimately connects to is george, if this is their murder weapon, as they
10:39am
claim, they can't hide behind the duct tape. [ male announcer ] introducing the ultimate business phone -- the motorola expert from sprint. its powerful tools help you work faster and smarter so you can get back to playing "angry birds." it lets you access business forms on the go, fire off e-mails with the qwerty keypad, and work securely around the world so you can get back to playing "angry birds." it's the android-powered phone that mixes business with pleasure. so let's get our work done, america,
10:40am
so we can all get back to playing "angry birds." the motorola expert from sprint. trouble hearing on the phone? visit sprintrelay.com.
10:41am
bill: bill: hundreds of veterans in texas spent their july 4th fighting for religious freed open. protestors converging on the houston national cemetery after a request was made that the words god and jesus be left out of funeral services. one local pastor filed a restraining order over this request. supporters fear that the restrictions are a sign of things to come.
10:42am
>> lack of religious freedom, lack of religious expression is not religious freedom, it is a form of tyranny. >> she chose to sacrifice her child, to live the life that she wanted. she took her child, she took her life, and she put it in the trunk and forgot about her, and she disposed of her body in a swamp. these are the facts that you have heard, and these are the facts that prove beyond a reasonable doubt that casey anthony is guilty of murder in the first-degree. alisyn: that was prosecutor jeff ashton making his case for a
10:43am
guilty verdict in the casey anthony murder trial. the case is now in the hands of jurors. you see the empty juror box there because they are deliberating. they are resuming deliberations this morning after a powerful rebuttal from prosecutors during closing arguments yesterday. >> if this truly was an accident in the pool caylee anthony would have been found floating in the pool, not floating in a swamp down the street. no person would ever make the accidental death of a child look like murder. alisyn: joining us now is gentleman jeanine piro host of "justice with judge jeanine." good morning, judge, i thought that was such a compelling note to leave it on, which is you don't cover up an accident to make it look like murder. aourt expert. did you think that was effective by the prosecution? >> absolutely, alisyn, look,
10:44am
sometimes what seem to be the most difficult decisions are not that difficult. this is about common-sense. the question is, who benefitted the most from caylee not being around? who wanted to live a life not burdened by a child? when you look at the fundamental aspects of this case why would anyone make an accident look like a murder? why would a father frame his daughter for murder? look, when people go into a jury room to deliberate we don't ask them to leave aside their common-sense, their basic fundamental instincts, their experience in life. this is about looking at the evidence and piece by piece does it make sense, doesn't it make sense, and i think that linda drane burdick's summation was excellent. it puts back in perspective who was the last person with caylee. alisyn: judge, you're making it sound so easy and it does look easy from here thousands of miles away.
10:45am
so what is taking the 12 people in the jury room so long? >> oh, first of all, alisyn, it's not taking them so long yet. they have seven charges, they know they are dealing with death. they have witnessed six weeks of testimony. they will give the deaf due deliberations of the arguments that they made. they will be very, very clear and organized. they'll atlantithey will elect . there are several counts, felony child abuse, which kicks it up to murder, which kicks it up to murder one. this is an awesome responsibility. the jury having watched them for six weeks is very coordinated. i think they are somewhat hom homogenic. they've heard it all, who will we believe, who are we not going to believe. judge perry was very clear and con advice in his jury
10:46am
instructions. they have the charges with them and i honestly think it won't take as long as it might in other murder one cases. alisyn: you have been in the courtroom for much of this trial. is there any way to read the tea leafs and tell which way the jurors are leaning? >> it's a great question alisyn. and i have to tell you i've been a judge, and a prosecutor, i've tried these cases, there is no way to know. we have all seen trials where a verdict has come out that is shocking to us. the question really is, will they be able to explain why caylee died, how she died, and of course there is no obligation on the prosecution to show why, but i think they wanted to make sense. and i think this is a relatively clear-cut case. i mean put aside the experts, and the fact that george anthony is a child abuser, you know, that he's a man who had an
10:47am
affair, who cares. this is about a 2-year-old girl whose life was taken from her, who took that life, and at the end of the day who is the only person who had access to every piece of evidence that is connected to her death, from the duct tape, to the blanket, to the car, to the clothing, and who last had custody of her. alisyn: much has been made about the jury composition, the break down between men and women and it's been said there are a lot of parents on this jury, a lot of mothers on this jury. are they generally tougher on defendants like this? >> that's a great question, alisyn. i'm a mother, you're a mother, you know, all of us understand the bond between a mother and a child. here is the die could th dicotm. they love children, we are all love children. do you have a juror that is strong enough that is accustomed to making decisions that will
10:48am
affect someone's life. that's why we have a death qualified jury. in the event if the jury thinks they have proven every element of the crime the question is can they go the next step and say, we're going to do this. that is not an easy decision to make. they may believe in their minds that the evidence there. they may have to go to the next step. by the way the judge looked at him and i thought he was very clear and when he said, you must find the highest count where the evidence has proof beyond a reasonable doubt. that indicates, he doesn't want any hog wash here, you look at evidence, come back with a decision in accordance with the law. we are a land of laws. don't use your sympathy, don't get weak on me, you have a job to do, go do it. if they've proven this case you must return the highest counts of guilty. >> judge, we know you've been
10:49am
following along in the courtroom, it's been a rivetting case, you say it won't take as long for them to decide as some others think. we obviously will be watching and pwraeug the viewers any breaking news when thee have it. be sure to watch judge jeanine when she hosts "justice with judge jeanine," saturdays right here at 9:00pm. you can go to foxnews.com/"america's newsroom" and tell us who made the best case. 80% are saying the prosecution. bill us tell us what you think. >> i'm on my kay. jon scott is coming up next. jon: a search is underway for american survivors of a ship that over tpurpbd at sea. we will talk to the wife of a man who was on board when the ship flipped in the middle of the night. a cartel leader arrested, will
10:50am
it weaken that gang's power or push it to retaliate with more violence. a medical breakthrough reveals some women who have a tough time getting pregnant, many are going to the doctor for help, but should they be going to the dentist instead? it's an unusual finding you'll want to hear about. we'll see you at the top of the hour. bill: we'll be watching, thank you, jon. in a moment here, thousands of gallons of oil pouring into montana's yellow stone's river. why that situation could get worse very soon. alisyn: some zip lines are fun, this one is meant to save lives. what happens when the victims vs refuse to get on one? without warning? or when you're distracted? when you're falling aeep at the wheel? do you know how you'll react? lexus can now precisely test the most unpredictable variable in a car -- the driver. when you pursue perfection, you don't just engineer
10:51am
the world's most advanced driving simulator. you engineer amazing. ♪ or annuity over 10 or even 20 years? call imperial structured settlements. the experts at imperial can convert your long-term payout into a lump sum of cash today.
10:52am
10:53am
alisyn: we want to show you this dramatic rescue effort. dozens of people in china were stranded on a bridge that
10:54am
collapsed under the force of floodwaters, rescue crews rigging up a cable to pull people to safety one by one, as you can see here. some of the people were too afraid to get on the cable fearing they would fall in the raging river below. rescuers, finally using heavy equipment to lift the rest to safety. i can see that fear. bill: from that river to another one right now. there were crews scrambling to cleanup a massive oil spill in the yellow stone river of montana, a leaking exxon pipene coughed up about 42,000 gallons of crude into the water. what is being done there and hugh could it get worse? >> reporter: the initial stages of the cleanup are underway. it was a foot-wide oil pipeline that burst on friday, and before the leak washington stopped 42,000 gallons of crude had escaped into the yellow stone river. the national weather service
10:55am
says today will be the test for the cleanup crews on the ground that are walking the rivers in search of pools of oil, and that is because the heat that is hitting the mountain snow is going to bring the river level to its peak some time today. according to officials whatever oil is in the water could be pushed to the banks and beyond. a woman owns property in the area, here is what she had to say about the spill. >> it feels overwhelming and scary. from my own assessment it doesn't look like we'll be able to use it. from what i'm seeing there is oil all over the topsoil and i don't want my animals eating that. it's scary, i grew up here. this is my place, i know this place like the back of my hand. >> reporter: exxon mobil's president said a fly over of the area gave them estimates of about a ten-mile stretch of damage. however that is being reassessed right now. bill: what has the governor said about this in montana, some skepticism expressed?
10:56am
>> reporter: absolutely. the montana governor says it's a bit early and too premature at this point to make any sort of real estimate of how much damage has been caused. the governor is planning to tour the area today. he's jumped on a statement made by exxon mobil that no injured wildlife had been found so far. the governor saying that that statement is just silly, and that an on the ground inspection made in small boats is really the only thing to help them figure out exactly what has happened here. bill: thank you, working that story out of denver, colorado for us. alisyn: new details on the body found in indianapolis. we are awaiting the results of an autopsy and whether there is any connection to missing indiana college student lauren spierer.
10:57am
10:58am
ask me. even if you think your mattresses is just fine, ask me what it's like to get your best night's sleep every night. why not talk to someone who's sleeping on the most highly recommended bed in america.™ it's not a sealy or a simmons or a serta. ask me about my tempur-pedic. ask me how fast i fall asleep. these are actual tempur-pedic owners. ask someone you know. try your friends on facebook. you'll hear it all. unedited. ask me how it feels after 10 years. just ask me. there are over 4 million tempur-pedic owners, and they're more satisfied than owners of any traditional mattress brand. ask me why someone who's never had an ache or a pain is in love with thas bed. start asking real owners. find out what you've been missing.
10:59am
right now, you can buy a tempur-pedic mattress set and save up to $200. plus, take advantage of our 4 years special financing. visit tempurpedic.com for full details on our mattress set savings event and 4 years special financing. don't wait-offer ends soon. visit tempurpedic.com now. alisyn: how beautiful were the fireworks this weekend, spectacular, right. bill: this is probably the best new york has done. in my ten years here, and the weather was perfect. they had a slight breeze which blew the smoke out of the way. it didn't get all clouded up there. a really, really wonderful night. alisyn: i'm still feeling the spirit. i'm in red. bill: i'm in red, white and blue. alisyn: really. bill: have a great tuesday, everybody, we are on verdict watch. we'll see you here tomorrow, take care. jon: we begin "happeningow

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)